When Konrath is not rambling on about UFOs, he sometimes has a good point. Check out this entry on The Wrath of Kon, which starts talking about how he’s idiotically decided to start dumping all of his money into film cameras, but then has some good points on our relationship to digital versus analog works.
Bizarro Central, the cult publisher of the strange and, well, bizarre, runs a flash fiction Friday that’s always got some choice stuff. This week, they’re running an excerpt from Jon Konrath’s recent book Atmospheres.
Check it out here. And it’s worth it to go back through the rest of their Friday posts.
Ben John Smith runs a hell of a site out of Australia called Horror Sleaze Trash. He recently published an excerpt of PL editor Jon Konrath’s latest book, Atmospheres. It’s a dark and twisted book that’s hard to explain, but an incredible read.
Check it out here, and while you’re there, read some of the other great stuff there. He’s really into gritty Bukowskian poetry and half-naked hot chicks, and there’s a lot of both on the site.
Also, you should probably head over to Amazon and pick up a copy of Konrath’s book here.
Our esteemed idiot editor-in-chief Jon Konrath has a birthday today. He has a college buddy (Bill Perry) with the same birthday, and they used to go to Las Vegas every year and celebrate by vomiting in expensive steakhouses and hitting on a hard 20. (Well, Konrath did, anyway.)
A strange and impressive list of individuals were also born on the 20th day of the Gregorian calendar, which Konrath claims is his secret society. It’s not clear if they have a special handshake or meet at the Bohemian Grove, but it’s possible.
Other January 20th birthdays:
- Richard Henry Lee – politician, called for the US to secede from Great Britain.
- Andre Ampere – physicist, father of electrodynamics; the Amp is named after him.
- Harold Gray – creator of Little Orphan Annie.
- George Burns – actor
- Aristotle Onassis – had JFK assassinated to get with his wife.
- Federico Fellini – director
- DeForest Kelley – Bones on Star Trek.
- Slim Whitman – musician, yodeler
- Patricia Neal – actress
- Rudy Boesch – asshole Marine from Survivor
- Buzz Aldrin – second man on the moon
- David Lynch – director, pie enthusiast
- Ian Hill – bassist for Judas Priest
- Paul Stanley – Kiss guitarist
- Bill Maher – comedian and antagonist
- Lorenzo Lamas – actor
- Scott Thunes – bassist for Fear
- Will Wright – computer game designer, inventor of Sim City
- Ozzie Guillen – baseball player/manager
- Tracii Guns – glam metal guitarist
- Rainn Wilson – actor
- Melissa Rivers – actor, sort of
- Kerri Kenney-Silver – actress, comedian
- Skeet Ulrich – actor
- Questlove – DJ, drummer
- Brian Giles – baseball player
- David Eckstein – baseball player
- Joy Giovanni – pro wrestling valet
- Geovany Soto – baseball player
Anyway, go wish Konrath a happy birthday and buy some of his books.
In Between Altered States is a zine of mind-bending flash fiction, edited by Aleathia Drehmer. Its 23rd monthly issue just came out, with the theme of “torture”. It includes flash from long-time AITPL contributor Timothy Gager and editor Jon Konrath.